Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Found Piles

A lot of my recent landscape work has developed into smaller individual series. I will be posting a lot of these series up in their current states, though I am adding to them as I find more of these scenes. So far I have a good set of fences, unmarked paths, views of the Prudential building, empty plots of land and found piles. The Views of the Prudential can be viewed here and the rest will be posted within the next week or so.

As for these found piles, there are several things that have attracted me to them. One of my interest in photographing the landscape is finding scenes that imply recent modification, or that show the shorten evolution of a space. I instantly respond to things that I know will soon be gone, or that will no longer be part of that particular space. I am fascinated with these piles, knowing that they are probably gone now, thus creating a different perspective of the scenes I found them in. I also like to think of these piles as sculptures of removed earth. Though temporary, they represent the strength and foundation of the land we engage with.

Of all these smaller series I have, the piles have tend to be the weirdest in terms of exposure, color and other photo related characteristics. Each image has some sort of strange color shift, light leak, or blown out highlights that have added a strange but wonderful feel to these photographs. I also c-Print these images 4x6 on 8x10 paper, just slightly bigger than the 4x5 negative size. I like that printing these massive piles of earth down to a smaller scale gives them a different life and allows a more elegant experience with them. 

Found Pile: 1, Needham, MA. 4x6 c-Print


Found Pile: 2, Boston, MA. 4x6 c-Print


Found Pile: 3, Jamaica Plain, MA. 4x6 c-Print


Found Pile: 4, Jamaica Plain, MA. 4x6 c-Print


Found Pile: 5, Brookline, MA. 4x6 c-Print

1 comment:

/////////////////// said...

i like these. did you end up applying to cranbrook this year?